Buying a New Build Home
Talk to an expert
Rather arrange a call to discuss your
requirements? Simply fill out our short request a
callback form and a member of our dedicated
team will be in touch when it works best for you.
New build conveyancing services
Our residential conveyancing team will:
- Check that your new home is being constructed according to agreed plans and in line with all relevant planning permissions and building control
- Confirm the purchase price and any reservation fee or deposit you may have already paid;
- Check whether any roads and sewers being installed are intended to be publicly maintained and paid for by the local council, or whether the plan is for
them to be privately maintained and paid for by you and other home owners;
- Ensure that where the intention is for roads and sewers to be publicly maintained, they are constructed to a standard sufficiently high enough to mean
that the council and water company will agree to adopt them;
- Ensure that you will have appropriate access rights to enable you to move freely to and from your property, particularly where your house is part of a
- Determine whether your home is being purchased on a freehold or leasehold basis, i.e. outright, for a one off payment (freehold) or for a set number
of years (typically 99 years plus) for an agreed fee and the payment of a monthly or annual service charge (leasehold);
- Where you are purchasing a leasehold property, determine whether ground rent will also be payable and, if so, that the charge is fair and predictable;
- Ascertain who will be responsible for the maintenance of any shared areas, such as carparks and green open spaces, and whether you will be
expected to pay a monthly or annual fee by way of contribution to their upkeep;
- Liaise with the house builder’s sales office to ensure construction of your house takes place according to any agreed timetable and to obtain the
paperwork that will be necessary to transfer legal ownership of the property over to you once the house has been finished, together with any
guarantees and warranty agreements;
- Liaise with your mortgage lender, or mortgage companies where there are multiple lenders involved, to ensure that the funds needed to complete your
purchase have been approved and will be available when required;
- Attend to the legal formalities needed where you are buying through the government’s Help to Buy scheme or a shared ownership arrangement;
- Manage the sale of your existing home, where you are in a chain or where you have agreed a part-exchange arrangement with the builder – this
includes redeeming your current mortgage where you have one;
- Ensure that once your purchase has been completed, confirmation of your ownership is recorded at the Land Registry; and let you know whether you will have to pay stamp duty land tax and, if you do, support you in completing the required form.
Why choose Step Legal Solicitors?
Our residential conveyancing specialists are qualified and experienced lawyers who have the skills and expertise needed to ensure that your house purchase proceeds quickly and with the minimum amount of fuss. Our aim is to take the hassle out of moving home by doing as much of the leg work for you as we can, while still ensuring that you are fully informed about what is happening through regular and detailed updates.
We appreciate that money is likely to be tight, particularly where you are a first time buyer, which is why we promise to keep our new build legal fees as low as possible and to provide you with an upfront quotation so that you can budget for our costs.
For members of the Polish community who worry about language barrier issues when it comes to buying a house, we offer a free Polish translation service to make the process as easy as we can; and for disabled clients or those with mobility issues, we can offer onsite visitor parking should you need to come to see us and have conveniently located step-free offices.
All of our conveyancing services are quality checked and overseen by the head of our residential property team, Anees Khan, who is a qualified solicitor and property professional with more than ten years’ experience in acting for private buyers, buy-to-let investors and residential property portfolio owners.
Want to find out more?
To discuss our new build property buying service, or any other aspect of our residential property offering, you can call us for free on 0800 195 6412, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to get an instant quote.
You can also pop into see us at our offices in Crewe.
We are able to help wherever in the country you are based, whether that be locally in a Cheshire town like Nantwich, Northwich, Sandbach or Macclesfield, in a city like Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire or in a county such as Shropshire, Derbyshire, Merseyside or Greater Manchester.